A moment many Michiganers have been patiently waiting for: when those spears first start popping up through the ground. The appearance of asparagus in roadside stands and markets signifies the start of the growing season, which is cause for celebration, if you ask me. And here in West Michigan, people go gaga over the stuff. Case in point is the National Asparagus Festival in Hart, Michigan, where you can taste asparagus prepared in a variety of different ways, see the crowning of the Asparagus Queen and take a tour of an asparagus farm.
Luckily for Western Michiganers, you don’t have to go far to find fresh, locally grown asparagus. Roadside stands are popping up all over the place with the delicious green spears. Below you will find a list of places you can find asparagus. I didn’t include the weekly farmer’s market because it’s a given you will find whatever is in season there. If you know of any more locations selling local asparagus, comment below, email me or find me on Facebook.
Places to Buy Local Asparagus:
- Stibitz Farms- Whitehall
- Lundell Farms– North Muskegon
- Lewis Farms- New Era
- White Duck Market- Scenic Drive in Whitehall
- Bush’s in New Era (Bush’s Apples)
- Roadside stand on White Lake Drive between Whitehall Rd and Durham Road
- Roadside stand near intersection of Fruitvale Rd and Old 31 in Montague
- Post Rd and Lamos Rd in Montague
- Webster Rd just west of Old 31
- Bishop Farm in Whitehall, Michigan