Local Sources of Strawberries:
- Scholl Farms in Montague, Michigan- We went to Scholl farms to pick our own strawberries. They were absolutely amazing in taste and froze very well.
- Stibitz Farms in Whitehall, Michigan- Check out the Stibitz Facebook page to get updates when strawberries are available either at their farm stand or for order. If you’re buying a big quantity (we bought 7 flats), make sure to call ahead.
- Kokx’s Sweet Corn, Strawberries and Pumpkins- Located in Fremont Michigan, Kokx’s has u-pick and pre-picked strawberries. Find them on Facebook to see their operating hours and when their strawberries are ready for picking.
- Ed Dunneback & Girls Farm- Located in Grand Rapids, they offer u-pick strawberries, cherries, apples and pumpkins in season. They also have a market stand where you can purchase donuts, fresh produce and a variety of canned goodies.
- Krupp Farms– Located in Comstock Park,Krupp Farms offers strawberries as well as asparagus and raspberries. Check their website and Facebook page for when their produce is in season.
- Ron Alvesteffer Farms– Located in Hart, Michigan offers we-pick by the quart or flat and u-pick. Check their website and Facebook page for up to date inforation.
- Visser Farms- Visser Farm’s berry patch is located in Holland, Michigan. They offer u-pick. You can also check their website and Facebook pages for the where markets you can find Visser Farms.
- DeLange’s Red Berry Farm- Located in Hudsonville, DeLange’s offer u-pick strawberries and raspberries. They also have a market where you can purchased pre-picked berries as well as eggs, honey, apples and pumpkins as they come in season.
Recipes for Strawberries
- Strawberry Sauce– We love this strawberry sauce to drizzle on ice cream, pancakes, cheesecake, or even oatmeal.
- Strawberry Rhubarb Jam- This is a staple in our house! You can even freeze the strawberries and rhubarb and make a batch in the winter when you’re dreaming of sweet summer strawberries.
- Rainbow Smoothie– This smoothie incorporates all the colors of the rainbow and uses a wide variety of fresh local Michigan produce, including strawberries. Freeze all that fruit to enjoy throughout the winter.
- Strawberry Shortcake- This recipe is for homemade shortcakes that are out of this world delicious. I made them in smaller portions and froze them for special desserts throughout the year.
- Strawberry Rhubarb Refrigerator Jam- This jam is thickened by using chia seeds, uses honey as a sweetener and can be stored in the fridge or freezer. A friend recommended it and it’s now on my “must try” list. Yum!